About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Elder Lundy and I represent The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I'm excited to be serving my mission in the Philippines! For further reading, see Ether 12:6, 27 "6. And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith. 27. And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

Monday, July 15, 2013

Serving in the Cauayan Philippines Mission :)


Hi,
I'm doing pretty well with staying focused right now. I got 2 texts from my last Branch President in Bagabag, President Quinones, this past Saturday. His 2 texts read as follows:

"Elder, nabinyagan na pala si bro. b. You plant, they harvest."
Translation: Elder, Brother B was just baptized. You plant, they harvest.

and
"Siya na rin ang bagong BML."

Translation: He is also our new Branch Mission Leader.
I don't know if you remember me telling you about V. B------ or not. He was one of my absolute favorite investigators on my whole mission. He had a super strong knowledge of the bible, as in he could repeat chapters from memory, and what’s more, in English. It was obvious he had been prepared by Heavenly Father. He didn't just accept everything we said the first time we taught it. But when we explained it and connected it to the scriptures, no matter what it was, he believed it and followed it. Elder Valdez and I used to refer to him in our studies as "Stake President" because we could honestly see him achieving that kind of conversion and obedience and service. He has an extremely high capability. When I was transferred out of Bagabag, V------ was in a slump. He was running for election as a public official, councilor to the Mayor I think. We had already had to postpone his baptism twice, and just before I left he pretty much said he was too busy and everything was going to have to wait till after the election. We took away his baptismal date and were visiting him, but really just waiting. Then this past Saturday I found out he was baptized. After almost another 3 months of being taught after I left, he was baptized. It almost put me to tears. I can't count the hours I spent pouring my heart out to him and teaching this man and helping him change. And he did it! He finally did it!!

This was a very good boost to help me keep focused. As a result, I have this story to share with you.... :)
We are teaching a former investigator of almost 1 year right now. We just had our 3rd appointment with him yesterday night. Our weekly plans for him included teaching him about The Savior's Earthly Ministry, The Great Apostasy, & The Restoration. During our companion study yesterday morning, I told Elder Laxamana:

"Elder, I already have this lesson written in my planner from planning on last Friday, but this is not the right lesson. It’s in our weekly plans for E----. (the investigator), but I feel that this is completely and utterly wrong for him right now. But I don't know what is right. I don't know what he needs."
His reply was that he felt the same thing. It wasn't right for E----, and he didn't know either what was right. A little background for you: E---- lives in the house of our ward mission leader. Our WML is always working though and is never home when we get to teach him. Yesterday after coordination meeting we went home with our WML. He and his wife and niece all sat in on the lesson. This time things went differently. We sat down and talked for a while. We laughed and joked a little, then had the opening prayer. After that, Elder Laxamana just looked at me for guidance. We still didn't know what we were teaching and hadn't coordinated the lesson with the members since we had just gotten out of coordination meeting... funny, no? Anyway, as I sat praying my guts out a thought popped into my head, "show him why you are here. Show him why you are teaching him." I just pulled out a Plan of Salvation pamphlet and taught him being heavily guided by the Holy Ghost. I handed the lesson after a little bit to Elder Laxamana who was thinking the exact same things I was. He went off to the races with the lesson, as we had spent the whole last week in our 12 week training for new missionaries practicing and learning the doctrine of the plan of salvation. Then the lesson got tossed to the WML to answer some questions, and it came back to me. And it was just perfect. With the guidance of the Holy Ghost, we were able to answer his biggest concern about the church.

Previously he disliked the missionaries because they said this was the only true church on the earth and we have to obey the teachings of Christ to be saved. E---- got it in his head that it means that nobody else will be saved but members of the church. He was all like, what about everyone else? What if they don't know that Christ is God and they have to obey him to be saved? What about everybody else that is good and goes to church on Sunday? The Spirit just taught us perfectly how to teach him the Plan of Salvation. It was a very good lesson and I am excited to see how he progresses. :)
I am having a good time. I am happy. I know what I am doing and I will not stop. The Lord is counting on me and I won't let Him down.

I love you. :* Have a good week.
Elder Lundy

No comments:

Post a Comment