About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Elder Lundy and I represent The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I'm excited to be serving my mission in the Philippines! For further reading, see Ether 12:6, 27 "6. And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith. 27. And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

Monday, April 22, 2013

TAGUMPAY (Success)!


I had a great week.
 
I can sum it up in one word... TAGUMPAY (Success)!
 
Here is my journal entry yesterday:

After church we started running from appointment to appointment trying to teach people and meet our goals. We got punted from 5 straight lessons. It was terrible. At that point I wasn't certain that we would meet our goal for the day. This caused us to stop and think of where we were and who we should go to next. Our first thought was to go to a member and ask for a referral. Elder Legarde immediately thought of the D--- family, so we went there. It turns out that Brother D--- had just gotten home from working in the rice fields. I saw him though so he came and shook our hands. With a little bit of nagging and prompting from his children he finally let us in the house. The D--- family is a mix of active members, less active members, inactive members and nonmembers. They cover everything on the spectrum. Him just shaking our hands and letting us in the house was a huge miracle (#1). For the past 7 months if we came to the house he just hid from us. Not only did he let us in, he also let us share a message with him and his son. That's miracle #2.

After the D--- family, we walked to our next appointment, Sister L---. L--- is a referral from family members in the next branch over. We have taught her several times now, but when we got to the house this time she wasn't there. We texted her to find out where she was and if we were going to be able to teach her. While we waited for the reply we talked to her family. I felt that I should concentrate on talking to them, especially to L---'s older brother, M-----. We got along well. M----- is 21 and we have some of the same interests. After a couple of minutes, we got a text from L--- that said she was working overtime and wouldn't be able to make it to the lesson. We told her family her reply and asked if we could share a quick message with them instead since we were already at the house. Nanay agreed. M------ had gotten up a minute earlier and had a cigarette in his mouth that he was trying to lite. Before he could get it lit, I called him over and asked if he would like to sit in while we share the message. He hesitated a little but then agreed. As we were teaching I could see that he was really thinking about what we were saying. I started to ask them some questions about what we had shared with them and this brought out some of their questions. The Spirit was really strong in the lesson. At the end of the lesson we told them that we couldn't answer all of their questions at once, neither could we teach them or they learn this lesson in a single sitting, so we began to ask if we could come back and share more and M------ just blurted out, "Can you come back? Is that ok with you? When can you come back? Can you come back tomorrow?" We were able to set a return appointment with him. It was a great lesson. Miracle #3.

Lastly, we had previously felt a prompting to go to the A--- family as our last appointment for the night. They are a less active family that I have taught for the past 6 or so months with little to no progress. This time we went they were all at home. I knew that their son E----- had turned 9 this past February and had not yet been baptized so I decided to use that to be able to teach the family. We started teaching E----- the beginning of The Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and challenged him to be baptized. He said yes. Then I saw something I had never seen before with the A--- Family. They all got a little giddy that E----- was going to be baptized. They kept saying it over and over. We then challenged the family to help E----- get ready for baptism. Miracle #4.

Earlier that day I brought the A--- family up to the Branch Mission Leader as the LA Family we want to focus on and got a good response from him. They have a family member in nearly every group at church.... Primary, YM, elder’s quorum, relief society...

After we had gotten back to the apartment a member texted us and asked for the A---'s phone number. It looks like the Branch is going to jump in and help! :) (Miracle #5! hehehe)

I'm just super excited about missionary work in this area. I love this branch. No matter where I go, I will leave a part of my heart here in Bagabag. I won't ever fully leave.

I learned an important lesson from this day. You must be ready to step off your planned schedule. Only when you stop and ask Heavenly Father in honest and pure prayer will you find those that He has prepared for you. Only then will you be a help in building His kingdom on earth. Miracles happen. I just experienced 5 rights in a row. You must be obedient to mission rules and beg Heavenly Father in humble fervent prayer with real desire, asking for the things you really need. You must be specific. Above all, you must ask that you will be guided to know His will and how to accomplish it. After all, His will, His work and glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. If you are humble enough to follow Him, you will be a successful missionary for you have been an instrument in His hands for the salvation of your brothers and sisters. Yesterday was a great day.

Question and Answer:

1. Please tell me how you are doing.

- I am doing ok. Overall I am much better. My shoulder is healing very slowly as long as I continue to exercise it.

2. Have you had any spiritual moments this week?

- See letter

3. I didn’t realize that you were going to the rice terraces last week too. Do you always have to go when your zone goes? Are you kinda like a chaperone as the zone leader?

- Rice terraces- I just go to be a chaperon and tour guide. Tour guides cost a ton and I know the place like the back of my hand.

4. How hot is it there right now?

- It’s super-hot. As in I sweat no matter what I’m doing or where I am.

5. Are you getting trunky? IF so place one hand firmly on your back pat it and say after me “I am not done with my work yet. Get over it and get back to work. My Mom Loves me and understands, but wants me to endure faithfully to the end.”

- Not anymore. I am doing the work and loving it.


I love you guys a ton. Keep it up. Oh, and I have decided that we need to do a Mexican night when I get home. I miss that a ton. I haven't written president yet though. I gotta write him. I was just excited to share my journal entry with you. J

Love you! :*

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment